Skip to main content

School student travel

Students may be eligible for free or subsidised travel to and from school or TAFE under the School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS).

Types of school travel assistance available

Different subsidies or passes are available depending on where you live and the availability of public transport.

School Opal card or school travel passes

Eligible students can receive free travel to and from school/TAFE on approved metro, train, bus, ferry and light rail during term.

If the student doesn’t qualify for free school travel, you may be able to buy a School Term Bus Pass for discounted travel on buses between home and school.

School Drive Subsidy

Where there is no public transport available, this subsidy partly offsets the cost for driving students to school or to the nearest transport pick up point, by car, motorcycle or boat.

Assistance for boarding school students

Eligible boarding school students can apply for free daily or weekend/vacation travel on NSW TrainLink train and coach services for visits to and from home. Lord Howe Island students can apply for subsidised air travel.

Boarding school students may also be eligible for the School Drive Subsidy.

Assistance for students with a disability

Students with a disability who are unable to travel to and from school under the School Student Transport Scheme may be eligible for assistance under the Department of Education Assisted School Travel Program.

Find out more on the Department of Education website

Travel outside of school

When using public transport other than between home and school, children aged 4 to 15 years are entitled to concession travel. Secondary students aged 16 years and over also pay concession fares with their proof of entitlement card. Find out more. Find out more.

Find what you needed?

Help us improve your experience by taking a quick survey.

Take our survey